They’re Here: The Post-Hailstorm Roofing Salesmen
May 28, 2014
Who Are All of These Roofing Salesmen at My Door?
If you experienced the hail storm over Memorial Day weekend, you may be asking yourself this question. Those roofers are likely “storm chasers,” companies that specialize in door-to-door marketing after major storms and blitz the neighborhood.
Homeowners can be lead to believe they are getting a free roof and may not understand that what exactly that entails. Critical details such as how their roof is installed and components needed for different roofing systems are left out of the roof replacement. The poor quality roof installation may not reveal itself until a hard rain or windstorm months or years later – long after the storm chasers have left town or have gone out of business.
So what to do?
1. Don’t make a rash decision. More than likely your roof is not going to start leaking immediately after a hail storm due to damaged shingles. Your roof’s life expectancy has been compromised, but the damage in general takes months or years to start causing any leaks. Roofs can be damaged by hail in such a way that they no longer have the necessary granules to provide long term service. Storm chasers may tell you that you only have a 2 week window to file a claim. This is NOT true. Your insurance company can tell you the window that you have for a hail claim and they want you to make an educated decision and use a reliable roofing company. They will allow you adequate time to obtain quotes and to make a decision
2. Check for granules. One way to tell if you may have hail damage is to check around the ground just under the area where the most water drains from your roof. If you see large amounts of granules, you likely experienced heavy damage.
3. Call your homeowners insurance company. Hail can also cause dents in the shingles which will affect the waterproof characteristics. If you see dents, call your homeowners insurance company to have an insurance adjuster to inspect the roof. The homeowners insurance company will determine if there are enough indicators of hail damage to warrant a roof replacement.
4. Make a wise decision. If you are given a settlement by your homeowner insurance company, choose a local roofing company with a long track record with a reputation to protect– they will still be there years from now should you ever have any issue! H & S Roofing and Gutters has been in business for over 75 years and serves the Charlotte, NC and surrounding areas. Call them today with all of your roofing needs (704) 334-9934.
5. Ask questions. Get all of the facts about your roofing installation and discuss items such as flashing. Below are some questions you should ask your roofer prior to installation:
Are you getting new flashing?
Is old flashing being reused?
Is this an opportunity to add ventilation to your home for efficiency and increase the longevity of your new roof?
Do you need ice and water protection around vulnerable areas of your roof (such as chimneys, pipe collars and valleys and dormers)?
Is your roofer helping you to obtain those items from your insurer?
The roof is the most important component of your home. You will live with your new roof for many years, so it is important to make informed decisions when it comes to roofing replacements. For more information on the roofing services H & S Roofing and Gutters provides for the Charlotte, NC and surrounding areas, visit their website today at www.hsroofing.com or give them a call at (704) 334-9934.