How To Clean Your Gutters
Sep 19, 2017
How to Clean Your Gutters
To keep your gutters and downspouts working correctly, it’s best to clean your system a couple times a year. If you have a lot of low hanging trees around your home or you’ve experienced a recent severe storm, you might need to clean your gutters more often.
To clean your gutters, you’ll need the following items:
- A ladder; if you house is more than one story, you’re going to want to be able to extend the height. Always have a person on the ground capable of holding the ladder stable. You will need to tie the ladder off to the gutters with a rope as a safety precaution.
- A gutter scoop or a small shovel
- Gloves to help protect you from getting stuck by sharp objects
- A large tarp to catch the debris as you remove it from the gutters
- A garden hose or other access to running water
Then, when you begin to clean your gutters, start at the downspouts and work your way up. Majority of the debris will clog where the gutters meet the downspouts. And since you’ll be unable to reach down into the downspout to ensure they’re clean, you’ll want running water on hand to test the fluidity.
As you move onto the gutters, use the small shovel to scoop out any leaves, dirt or other debris that could slow down the flow of water.
Working on a ladder is dangerous. Be sure you do not over extend your reach as this can cause the ladder to slide or cause you to lose your footing on the ladder.
As you’re cleaning your gutter system, you should inspect the gutters and downspouts for any sign of damage. If you do find any leaks, rotting or insect infestation, you should contact a roofing and gutter professional to schedule repairs.
Hire a Gutter Cleaning Professional
Don’t have the items needed, the agility or the time to clean your gutters properly on your own? Hire a gutter professional to clean your gutter system for you!
H & S Roofing and Gutters boasts a team of skilled professionals who will not only come clean your gutters, but will also inspect them for any damage.
Get in touch with H & S Roofing and Gutter Company today to schedule your gutter cleaning and inspection by visiting the website or by calling 704-334-9934 to speak to a gutter professional directly.