All About Flashing | H&S Roofing and Gutters
Aug 31, 2015
Your gutters are an integral part of keeping your home and your roof water damage-free. Gutter systems are designed to collect water that falls on your roof and move it away from your home.
However, if they are not maintained properly and repaired, or replaced when needed, you could experience serious damage to your roof, house and landscape.
To help you better understand the job of your gutter systems, and how important they are to the draining functions of your home, please read on.
The Parts of a Gutter System
- Gutter – the gutter itself catches water shedding off the roof.
- End Cap – the gutter’s end cap closes off the end of a gutter to stop the water and move it to the downspout.
- Fascia Bracket – the fascia bracket is attached to the eaves (fascia) and supports the gutters.
- Downspout – the downspout moves the water from the gutter to the ground.
- Elbow – the elbow changes the direction of the downspout to move water away from the foundation of the house.
- Downspout Bracket – the downspout bracket secures the downspout to the side of the house.
Now that you know the parts of your gutter system, and have an idea of how they work, it’s probably a little easier to understand why it’s so important to keep them clean.
A clog in your gutters can result in a clog in your downspouts. If water gets backed up in your downspouts, it can cause your gutters to overflow. If your gutters overflow, they’re not protecting your roof or your house at all.
You should plan to have your gutters cleaned every couple of months, or after a big storm. If you plan on cleaning your gutters yourself, check out these tips>>
If you’d like to hire a gutter specialist to clean and inspect your gutters, please contact the professionals at H & S Roofing and Gutter Company!
Need New Gutters or to Schedule a Cleaning?
Whether you’re in need of a gutter repair, new gutters or you simply need to schedule a cleaning, the experienced staff at H & S Roofing and Gutters can help!
Learn more about H & S Roofing & Gutter Company’s gutter products and services by visiting our website, www.hsroofing.com, or call us at 704-334-9934.